Oct 6, 2013

Know Your Spice: Healing Powers of Ginger


Ginger-fried pork with cabbage
My first encounter with Ginger aka 生姜(Shouga in Japanese) was through a cookbook for beginner cooks. The dish was 生姜焼き(Ginger-fried pork). It was a success because it is a simple dish. My second engagement with 生姜 was during the second winter when I was in Japan. My mother-in-law told me that during winter 生姜湯 (Ginger hot water/tea) is a popular drink because it is good for blood-circulation, thus preventing one from being cold. The more people I meet the more I learned that 生姜is a really popular herb root for culinary and medical importances after interacting with them. 4 years in America, and I didn't know the humble mighty herb until I came back to Asia. I guess Ginger is a staple in Asian cooking.

Briefly, let me explain about what Ginger really is. Ginger is the world's most widely cultivated herb. There are economic and medicinal testimonals about how important ginger was, dated as far back as five thousand-year-old Greek literature to 200 B.C. Ancient literature from the Middle East, Asia and Europe write of its impact. Without much said, trade in Ginger could easily be associated with one's wealth and power. It is believe that just one pound of Ginger was worth 1 shilling and 7 pence, approximately equivalent to the price of a sheep.

Ginger Hot Water/ Tea
The historical reverence for and usage of ginger is simply astounding. Traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic Indiansystems viewed Ginger as a healing gift from God. Chinese pharmacopeias claim long term use of fresh Ginger as putting a person in contact with the spiritual advantages. Writings of the Koran describe Giner as a beverage of the holiest heavenly spirits. Its healing heritage is unmatched in the history of medicine.

Diving deeper into its heritage, Ginger is used for anti-inflammatory, carminative, anti-flatulent, and anti-microbial properties. Zingerone, a chemical compound which gives pungent character to the Ginger root, is effective against E.coli induced diarrhea, especially in children. What more, this root only has 80 calories per 100g and contains no cholesterol!!! Furthermore, it composes many essential nutrients and vitamins such as pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5) which commends optimum health. On top of all these goodness, Ginger also contains a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Abruptly, potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure.

With all said, let's explore how to slice Ginger for maximum flavor. (My small scanner just won't let me scan my magazine page explaining ways of cutting Ginger) I will just illustrate in words as detailed as possible. If one already has basic culinary skills, it won't be hard.

  1. すりおろし(Surioroshi) aka Grate : This is the basic way to use Ginger. After grating, one could easily put it in drinks, such as lemon tea. Scrub or pat the grated ginger on meat and fish to reduce the smell of meat and fish.
  2. せん切り(Sengiri) aka Shredding in Long Thin Slices : Use for stir-fry vegetables, soup and stew.
  3. みじん切り(Mijingiri) aka Chopped in Tiny Pieces : Best use when frying with oil. This method is used commonly in Chinese cooking.
  4. 薄切り (Usugiri) aka Slicing Thinly : Use for making Ginger syrup because of the width, the Ginger is able to absorbed the syrup easily. One way to extract the pungency of Ginger.
  5. 干す (Hosu) aka To Dry. Dried and powdered, it's used as herbal remedy.
I am going to make an effort to cook Ginger recipes once a week from now on. I hope you will you!


 

 



 
 

3 comments:

AngrySeaOtter said...

Great post! We used some powdered ginger in a homemade General Tso's chicken recipe found online!

Ginger ale is popular in the United States. In MI, our ginger ale of choice is Vernors as this is a MI company. But across the country you'll find Schweppes and Canada Dry. When we were kids, my mom would buy us Vernors when we had the stomach flu to help us feel better. As adults, we still drink diet version of Vernors when we get together at my grandparents house - we often mix with orange juice for a different taste. Ginger ale is probably not as healthy as real ginger since it is a soda, but I'd say that is the most popular form of ginger I grew up with.

I've had crystallized ginger, which is basically sugar-coated ginger. It tasted really good - the sugar softened the astringent taste of the herb. Leave it to the American diet to put sugar on ginger!

Another place I've used ginger powder is in oatmeal. I will mix ginger and ground cloves into maple-flavored oatmeal to reap the benefits of ginger but to give the oatmeal an "autumn" taste.

Sachiko Matsuda said...

Yes,as much as we would like to belive that we are drinking 100% pure Ginger juice from Ginger ale, Kim knows the truth better than anyone else.

Ginger Ale is popular here too.
Some very pungent strong Ginger ale is really delicious!

As for the sugar coated ginger, we have it here, put hot water in it and voila, you have hot ginger water all ready to prepare for winter.

I can share with you the Ginger fried pork recipe. Ginger's puncengy get erased because it goes through the fire through frying.

AngrySeaOtter said...

I would love to try the ginger pork recipe! I am in desperate need to try new recipes and to improve my cooking skills...my baking skills are good (maybe because it's sweets!) but not so much dinner!